Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Are We Genuine?

Do We Think For Ourselves?

Are you a genuine person? Are your morals and values that of what you believe? Have you ever asked yourself these questions? It may seem a bit strange but, we as humans usually get trapped in the ever so changing world. I quote from Therese Baptiste- Cornelis, 'The only constant in life is change.' There are so many changes worldwide currently, and some people tend to 'lose themselves' and adapt to stereotypes.

Okay, speaking in terms of the Caribbean. We, individuals of the Caribbean are often directly influenced by the Americas and foreign culture. We start to act, dress and believe that whatever come from foreign is gold. For example; most Trinidadians who are 'goth, EMO, scene' picked up those personalities from foreign. I'm not saying EVERY goth, emo or scene person isn't genuine, those personalities may actually be genuine among some people. Some people pretend to be who they aren't, just to be socially acceptable, and most of the time they forget who they really are deep down inside.


Recently, I've found myself being susceptible to a foreign culture. I began to only listen to American produced music and forgot about everything local. Now i have realized how wrong of me that was to forget where I came from and what meant the most to me and I've reinstated my morals and values. 

I just want to say, don't fall susceptible to stereotypes and don't forget who you are and where you came from. Keep your morals and values high and closest to your heart. 

QUOTE of the month: 
  Happiness is that state of conscientiousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values. Ayn Rand. (1905- 1982) 

No comments:

Post a Comment